Debra Wesley, Coordinator, x5236
purpose of pupil appraisal services is to assist students who have
academic, behavioral, and/or communication challenges, adjustment
difficulties, or other special needs which are adversely impacting the
student’s educational performance by providing services to students,
parents, teachers, and other school personnel.
Services include, but are not limited to the examples provided below.
to teachers and other school personnel in the development and
implementation of behavioral and/or instructional interventions through
Response to Intervention (RtI) process, positive behavior support
process, or other intervention processes.
- Provision of support services to non-disabled students with academic, behavioral and/or communication difficulties.
with parents, students, teachers, and other personnel on topics such as
instructional or behavioral modifications, exceptional students, and
- Provision of staff development to school personnel on topics such as assessment, interventions, or child development.
- Evaluation of students to determine whether they are exceptional and in need of special education and related services.
- Interpretation of evaluation findings to school personnel and parents.
- Provision of related services to students with exceptionalities.
- Referral to other appropriate agencies for services when warranted.
appraisal personnel are not limited to providing services solely to
students referred for an individual evaluation. Many students
experiencing academic, behavior and/or communication difficulties may be
helped through recommendations made by pupil appraisal personnel for
use in the general education classroom, enabling the student to benefit
from instruction in the general education curriculum and eliminating the
need for referral for an individual evaluation. Major functions of
pupil appraisal personnel should include being child/student advocates
and assisting students to remain in and profit from the general
education curriculum whenever possible. When a student, as a result of
an individual evaluation, qualifies for special education and related
services, pupil appraisal personnel will recommend those services and
supports needed to assist the teachers and parents of the student in
providing appropriate special educational services in the least